Obtainium Cup: Art Car Race and Tea Party
There’s a good chance that you have never heard of the Obtainium Cup. Luckily for you, on July 16th and 17th, this can change. For the 5th straight year, the Obtainium Cup will be scuffled over in Vallejo, giving participants and spectators both the time of their lives, and challenging the age-old idiom “there is nothing new under the sun.”
On the surface, the Obtainium Cup is a race around Alden Park. What makes it unique is that the race is competed using home-made, self-powered vehicles that take on a distinctly steampunk flare: Massive tires, membranous wings, propellers, and lots and lots of character. Also, the track they are racing on is full of obstacles like Mad Hatters, Zombies, Flying Monkeys, and Robots. If you have never witnessed someone trying to escape from the walking dead on a velocipede, now is your chance. This is a gathering of those in the DIY sector who simultaneously wish for an alternate version of the future and want to make the present a little more interesting; for those who like to build and entertain; for those who want to gawk at the outrageous designs and artworks that have been coming together in garages through California and the American West for years.
Although the festival itself has been going on for 5 years, this July there will be some added features to make the all-day event that much more compelling and worth attending:
- Art Car Workshops: – A crash course in art car design and manufacture that will give you a great place to start when designing your own racing vehicle for next year.
- Fashion Show: – Steampunk is about clothing and dressing up more than anything else, and now you will know why.
- Tea Party: – From 4pm-5pm, this party will be very curious indeed and include herbal teas and black teas in unexpected mixtures.
- Art Car Decoration: – If you attended the Art Car Workshop, then this is a chance to help some of the race’s participants by improving and embellishing their vehicles.
- Awards Ceremony: – What’s a race without a podium and someone holding a gold medal? The answer, of course, is nothing.
- Steampunk Vendors: – Catering to all your steampunk needs, these booths will offer some of the most unique steampunk items for purchase.
The race starts at 3 p.m. and is open to anyone with $25 and a souped-up, steam-punky bicycle or other self-powered vehicle. For everyone else, the event is free. So mark your calendar and prepare to take a trip to Mare Island in Vallejo, because this weekend just became awesome.
For additional information, contact NLS Limo today at 800-339-8936!
- “Obtainium Cup”: Art Car Jam, Tea Party & Mutant Car Workshops | Vallejo
- JULY 16 & 17, 2016: TWO DAYS OF ART CAR FUN!