26th Annual Autumn Moon Festival
You know a festival is going to be a good time when it is an incarnation of an event that has been going on for more than a millennium. Such is the case with the Autumn Moon Festival which will take place in Chinatown over the course of this upcoming weekend. Although the tradition of celebrating the moon and the Moon Goddess is a thousand years old, this is officially the 26th Annual Autumn Moon Festival. The festival will occur in the heart of San Francisco’s Chinatown, with more than one stage, several parades, and scores of vendors.
San Francisco’s Chinatown is already one of the country’s most storied places, and the inclusion of this culturally rich festival into the smorgasbord is just one more way for this section of the city to assert its uniqueness. If you are a San Francisco resident or even if you are just passing through, the 26th Annual Autumn Moon Festival will provide you with a healthy dose of entertainment, memorabilia, and, of course, plenty of the mooncakes that are an essential part of this tradition.
This year, the festivities include a wide array of events, and you will not want to miss out on things like:
- China’s Spirit Music Ensemble performing at 12:30pm on Saturday.
- The Dog Fashion Show and Contest, hosted by Dennis Woo and Ana Carmina at 2:15 on Saturday.
- White Crane Lion Dance & Martial Arts Association giving a breathtaking demonstration of their art at 11:00am on Sunday.
- The classic Bay Area music group Jest Jammin’, live and on-stage starting 3:00pm on Sunday.
- The famous closing parade, which will include the White Crane Dragon among other things.
The Autumn Moon Festival is a time to gather your loved ones together, reflect on the summer, look the cooler months boldly in the face, and believe in the possibility of a bright future. It is also a time to gorge yourself on remarkable and mouthwatering delicacies from Asia and beyond, to receive a Fortune Kookie Balloon, and to watch fantastic Chinese musicians performing traditional songs on traditional instruments.
The 26th Annual Autumn Moon Festival will take place on Saturday, September 10th, and Sunday, September 11, from 11:00am until 6:00pm on both days.