Pittsburg, California, is a community in north central Contra Costa County with an annual Seafood Festival, a thriving local theater community, and access to some of California’s most vibrant cities. Pittsburg’s location is central to exciting places like San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland and Napa Valley, making it an ideal place to stay on your next Bay Area trip.
Pittsburg Fast Facts & Points of Interest
The city was founded in 1839 and was first called “Black Diamond” before residents selected the name Pittsburg in 1911. Many of the residents here commute to jobs in the Bay Area. Pittsburg has a population of 56,769. The city is also home to Los Medanos College, a two-year community college. Currently the city is redeveloping its old downtown. Here’s some more essential information:
- The city is redeveloping its waterfront, which will include a pedestrian promenade, along with commercial and hotel construction in 2008.
- Pittsburg is located on the Suison Bay, inland from San Francisco.
- The city is the hometown of professional athletes like Aaron Miles of the St. Louis Cardinals, Nascar driver Marvin Burke, and Denver Broncos linebacker DJ Williams.
- South of the city is Black Diamond Mines Regional Park, featuring breathtaking views of lush green valleys and great hiking.
- Pittsburg features six hotels and 19 restaurants.
- The Pittsburg Delta View Golf Course’s back nine holes were the brainchild of Alastair MacKenzie, the architect responsible for the Augusta National Golf Course-the famed site of professional golf’s biggest event, The Masters.
For more information on Pittsburg, check out their Chamber of Commerce’s website.
The Seafood Festival
In the beginning of every September, Pittsburg hosts its annual Seafood Festival. Some of the fine eating includes:
- BBQ oysters
- Italian garlic scampi and shrimp
- Fried calamari
- Crab cakes
The Delta Air Show features daring fighter pilots who pull all kinds of tricks at high altitudes. Arts and crafts from local vendors are on sale and a kid’s area ensures that there’s something for the whole family.
Pittsburg is in a central location ideal to hop between cities in Northern California. All of these exciting locations are right at your fingertips:
- 35 minutes to Oakland
- 45 minutes to San Francisco
- 55 minutes to wine country
- 1 hour to San Jose
- Nearby to Redwood Regional Park
The best way to go between these locations is to let one of our professional drivers handle it as you relax in the luxurious comfort of one of our limousines. It’s a great way to see all of the dramatic cliffs by the Pacific Ocean and the breathtaking San Francisco skyline. And if you have a group that wants to experience all the area has to offer together, our party buses and tour buses are great options.
If you’re planning on enjoying Pittsburg and the Bay Area, we suggest you look into Nationwide Limousine Service. Our professional, friendly drivers will escort you anywhere in the Bay Area in style and elegance. Call us today at 800-339-8936!